Saturday, July 13, 2013

Why Do We Worship in Church?

Why do we choose to get up and travel to church on Sundays?
Well I know why I go to church, it's because I love my Savior and I want to respect His day and I want to partake of the sacrament.

There are so many distractions each and every day, but when we go into that chapel, we can be away from the world, with our God, our Savior, the angels of Heaven, and fellow Christians. What a joyous occasion. When we put the time and effort in to make each church meeting a time between you and God and shut out facebook, texting, and games, you will feel the cleansing power of the Atonement. I never realized how distracted by the world I was before my mission! I always liked going to church, but I didn't always set myself out of the world, I brought some of it with me... and frankly the only person hurt from that was me. Lesson learned.

I've also noticed that people go to certain churches for other reasons, like certain music aka mini concerts, because they can dress how they want, because they can have a coffee social, and bring whatever other worldy things in to make it seem cooler.
Now here is the thing, I think it is better to go to church in any setting rather than none, but we need not be distracted by the things that make church seem cool. We go to church to worship the Lord!! It's awesome to have church social events, but they are not there to be in place of humble worship of the Lord.
I know that if we remember to keep the Sabbath Day Holy, the Lord will bless us more abundantly.

An analogy I read from mormon.org by another Latter Day Saint was this:
"I heard a simple analogy many years ago: A man took his automobile into a mechanic every six months for a tune up for over twenty years. Sometimes more work was needed than just the tune up, and sometimes it was a routine job. One day the mechanic asked the man why he was so dedicated to taking care of his car. The man replied, "I take care of my car so that I am not surprised when something goes wrong. When I observe what has been done and what needs to be done with my car, I am able to deal with the issues as they come." I feel the same way about going to Church each week. I may not always need an overhaul of my spiritual transmission, just as the car may not have needed serious work at each inspection. But over time I have seen the great blessings of Church: a greater ability to deal with issues as they come. When life throws a curveball, I am able to rely on Jesus Christ more fully because I have made a constant habit of serving and relying on Him. That way in times of trial, emotional insecurity, un-employment, cancer in the family and a broken-down car I am more focused on letting God show me the way through it than the seemingly insurmountable tasks ahead."

I know that we receive extra strength and energy when we put in our effort to show the Lord we love and respect Him. Even when it doesn't seem worth it or you're too tired or too busy, I promise that the Lord will bless you more abundantly throughout the following week if you give Him just a few full hours of your time to Him each week.

1 comment:

  1. I love being able to feel the Spirit while we Worship the Lord. I know that He has more in store for us than just a "good time." He truly has tune ups and overhauls us when needed. Thank you Sister Carrell for this amazing post.

    ReplyDelete